Alice Cooper, Bon Jovi, Beastie Boys Top List of 2011 Rock Hall Nominees
Posted by Michael Mueller on September 29, 2010 at 4:23 PM
Alice Cooper, the Beastie Boys, and Bon Jovi top the list of 2011 nominees for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, it was announced yesterday (9/28). Also on the list are Chic (featuring legendary funk guitarist Nile Rodgers), Neil Diamond, Donovan, Dr. John, J. Geils Band, LL Cool J, Darlene Love, Laura Nyro, Donna Summer, Joe Tex, Tom Waits, and Chuck Willis.
We could argue all day and then some about who belongs and who doesn't, but I do feel obliged to mention a few "rock" artists who qualify yet are not on the list:
- KISS - not a fan, but they are one of the biggest rock bands in history.
- Deep Purple - Ritchie Blackmore only wrote the most famous rock guitar riff of all time
- Judas Priest - if it doesn't happen soon, fans will be screaming for vengeance
- Iron Maiden - You can have your Black Sabbath; for my money, Maiden is the most important heavy metal band of all time
- Rush - 24 gold records, 14 of them platinum, puts them behind only the Beatles and Rolling Stones. Who are these nincompoops ...er ... voters?
- Yes - Arguably the most influential progressive rock band of all time, but apparently music that makes you think is simply too much for most.
OK, the soapbox is yours ... Who do you think should be in?